Aluminum carports and patio covers have develop into a well-known and eye-catching home improvement. The item itself has been in use for many years. As a light weight and sturdy material, aluminum can be a terrific alternative to stick constructed or steel structures. Attributes, colors, and styles have evolved over the years to offer home owners numerous selections. These days we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of those well-known aluminum structures.
1) Durability – My parents have been living in the identical residence for more than 30 years. Their patio cover was installed inside the late 1960s, and is still standing and functional. This item will stand the test of time with little greater than a cleaning when a year. Most businesses engineer their units to withstand wind and snow loads. As a result, baring natural climate disasters, your patio cover or carport ought to give you years of use.
2) Eye-catching – As stated above with a small upkeep your carport or patio cover will remain hunting excellent for many years. The aluminum pans will by no means rust. You will find various colors to select from and various designs of framework that need to satisfy any homeowner.
three) Structural simplicity – Because of the light weight nature of aluminum, a patio cover is often attached directly to your patio slab, and carports may be attached straight to your driveway. Also attachment for the property needs minimal anchoring. Note: some locations may possibly require posts to be set in concrete, check together with the codes division inside your area. Among the most effective advantages of Aluminum structures would be the minimum fall essential for installation. Aluminum carports and patio covers require only ¼” of fall /ft. spanned. A shingled roof requires a minimum of 4″ of fall /ft spanned, which often creates problems with head room on the outside.
4) Functionality – Very few residence improvement projects can provide the quality usefulness that an aluminum patio cover or carport can. Patio covers more than decks and patios offer escape from direct sun and weather, and can make them much a lot more useful and enjoyable. Aluminum carports (free standing or attached) can provide terrific shelter for your vehicles when a garage is not available .
1) Bird Nests – The W-pan aluminum is notorious for attracting birds. There are many plugs that manufacturers offer and it is highly recommended you insist on these at the time of installation. They do add cost but will save you from the endless hassle of cleaning out the pans.
2) Trees – All Aluminum carports and patio covers come with built in gutters and downspouts, in the fall if you live in a wooded area leaves are a constant problem. Since aluminum structures do not call for as much slope on the roof, leaves and debris is much much more likely to accumulate. The most common problem I see is where this accumulation of leaves is left unattended, stopping up gutters, backing up water and ultimately causing the panels to bow and leak.
3) Rust on framework – Most aluminum patio covers and carports are installed with steel bar joists, and posts, and while painted before installation, the organic exposure for the elements will eventually cause the parts to show rust (especially at ground contact)
4) Hail – The single most, problem with aluminum carports and patio covers is hail. We replace several of those each year. Due to the light weight nature of aluminum a hail storm can leave small unattractive dings inside the panels. Most property owners insurance cover this and in most cases if hail is hard enough you will have other damage to your dwelling
As a contractor for quite a few years, I have learned to appreciate the functional beauty of aluminum carports and patio covers. The advantages of these products far out weigh the disadvantages. Almost all the disadvantages could be prevented with simple maintenance.